Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar ChildrenMiss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

My rating: ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
Date Finished:  11/2/2011
Genre(s):  Fantasy, Young Adult (YA)
               

A mysterious island.

An abandoned orphanage.

A strange collection of very curious photographs.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow—impossible though it seems—they may still be alive.

A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.


You know how when you read a story, and you can easily imagine it being translated into a motion picture, you begain to congure the possible soundtrack as you read? Well the whole time I was thinking the theme from the "Twilight Zone". Wield, yes! A little "bubble gum"...Oh yeah! Dark and a little twisted...that too!



To be honest, initally this book gave me the heebie jeebies....It reminded me of the Blair Witch Project. The whole movie I complained about the bad acting, horrible script, and terrible cameraman. However the last 2 minutes of the film gave me nightmares when they insisted that not only was it based on a true story, but that was the actual footage. Well this book is similar. The real antique pictures are creepy and makes the story a little real to me.



The narrator, Jacob, is interestingly bland in a mysterious nerdy kind of way. He didn’t fit into any set stereotype of either the rich kid or the smart kid. He was basically friendless, yet never seemed lonely. He loved his Mom out of obligation, yet said if she was a complete stranger would mean nothing. I wanted to keep turning the pages just to find out more about what lies beneath the surface.



I didn't expect this book to have funny parts. But it surprised me, because it had many funny moments.I embarrassed myself, uncontrollably laughing out loud on the subway! For Example: "I tried to step around the fat man. He made a grab for me, but slow and drunk is no match for fast and scared shitless." (((((Hilarious)))))



Later I found there was a strange and unusual twist to the plot.....but I liked it! There will definitely be a sequel, and I look forward to seeing where adventure will lead Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Ad