Armchair BEA: Ethics & Bridging Gaps between Fiction and Non-fiction

armchair-BEA
Design credit: Nina of Nina Reads
Today's topic is Ethics & Bridging Gaps between Fiction and Non-fiction

Ethics.  When I think of this word I think of "Integrity"-doing the right thing even when no one's looking.  Or in this case even if you may never get caught or no one'll call you out on it.  If it feels wrong, nine times out of ten it probably is.

  My  recommendation to new bloggers is always make it your own, even if guidance is given, and you'll never go wrong.  There's a lot of meme's and mass blog events that help with step by step set up.  #1. DON'T take the cookie cutter shortcut & #2. always give props to the originator.

The closest I've come to this infraction is copying the instructions to an event and simply filling in the blanks.  It was my cookie cutter way out.  When a follower mentioned that many of  the host layouts looked similar, red flags were raised in my mind.  While the instructions were clear, no one said I could't personalize.  Not considering this was an amateur mistake. Even if everyone across the tour was given the same HTML, I vowed always to "make it my own".  Because otherwise what distinguishes my blog from the next that's also promoting a particular event!

Thankfully my actions didn't cause any hurt feeling or mass hysteria.  Plagiarism is when you do not have permission, but copying in any shape or form is noticeable and very often frowned upon.

I read historical non-fiction, but I do not review it.  Fiction is objective.  Oftentimes with non-fiction it's hard cold facts and what is there to debate?  
The EgyptiansThe VikingsEmpires of Early Latin AmericaEmpires of the Ancient Near East

2 comments:

  1. Bravo for talking about your amateur mistake. We've all done something like that without realizing it. You made the fix, good for you :)

    I'm crazy about nonfiction. You're right, it can be hard to review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard sometimes because many of us see something somewhere and it stay within our minds, and we end up using it unconsciously. I don't read a lot of non-fiction books, so I don't really have anything to say about it, haha.

    Leanne @ Escaping With Books

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Ad