Armchair BEA: Genre- Classic Literature (Classics)

armchair-BEA
Design credit: Nina of Nina Reads

I almost completely forgot this post!


Aside from the Armchair BEA, there's the topic...Genre: Classic Literature (Classics)


I'm going to name a few of my favorite classics which just happen to also be mandatory reads from high school:

Tears of a Tiger (Hazelwood High, #1)

Tears of a Tiger 
by Sharon M. Draper
After a car accident kills Robert, Andy's best friend and teammate on the Hazelwood High Tigers, Andy doesn't know if he can go on. He's consumed with guilt for driving the night of the accident after a long evening of drinking and partying. With perceptiveness and compassion, Sharon M. Draper portrays an African-American teenager who feels driven to consider suicide in the wake of a devastating tragedy.
I hated my 10th grade English teacher for making the class read this book. It was so sad; and when I stood in front of the class to read my book report I was snot faced and hiccuping tears. But I remember ever word, and I can appreciate the solid plot and believable characters.





1984
by George Orwell
1984
Written in 1948, 1984 was George Orwell's chilling prophecy about the future. And while the year 1984 has come and gone, Orwell's narrative is timelier than ever. 1984 presents a startling and haunting vision of the world, so powerful that it is completely convincing from start to finish. No one can deny the power of this novel, its hold on the imaginations of multiple generations of readers, or the resiliency of its admonitions. A legacy that seems only to grow with the passage of time.

This was also a mandatory read in high school, but I absolutely loved it.  Everything George Orwell has written, in my opinion, is gold.  1984 was my very first dystopian novel and I've been hooked ever since!



Are you a fan of classic literature?

4 comments:

  1. I love 1984! but I have to say, never heard the first title, I had no idea this would be considered a classic. One I like a lot is East of Eden. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. High school made a lot of us read Classics, but to be honest I'm glad they did. I have many favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just read 1984 for book club, or tried to! Not very many people manged to get through it. So cheated at book club and watched the Spark Note video! And then it looked so depressing that we were glad we hadn't read it! I sear I read it in high school too, when I was trying to re-read it, nothing sounded familiar, so now I have no idea if I really did or not. Funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1984 was good. I think I read it the first time before it was 1984! I guess I should read it again. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Ad