{Review/ Guest Post}: Silencing Breath by Joanne Brothwell

Silencing Breath
Silencing Breath 
by Joanne Brothwell
Published March 15th 2013 
by Crescent Moon Press

Just as Sarah is learning everything she can about her new abilities as an Indigo Child and settling into a normal life with her beloved Evan, her entire world shatters when Evan disappears without a trace. Desperate to find him, Sarah's attempts to uncover clues to his whereabouts end up leading her to a sadistic serial killer who confirms her worst fears are true, Evan has been kidnapped, and he is once again in the clutches of his brutal, abusive family of necromancers. Sarah's search leads her not only to the evil people of Evan's past he tried so desperately to protect her from, but also to The Key of Solomon, an ancient text for summoning the dead.

Silencing Breath was the sequel to Stealing Breath, a novel I enjoyed beyond words. The supernatural content and originality blew me away. Even at the end there was still a thick level of mystery surrounding the characters and the extent of their strange powers.  I took it upon myself to check out Vicarious and was thrilled to sneak a peek at Sarah's past complete with her blossoming abilities.  In Silencing Breath, we're taken into Evan's world. Thus begins the meet & greet of the Valenti clan.  It's been four years since Sarah and Evan's "Happily Ever After" began.  There's even marriage on the horizon. That is until revenge comes knocking.

Silencing Breath was a dark chapter in this series. In fact I believe there was a bit of a genre shift from paranormal romance to simply paranormal in the process. That's not all that much of a bummer but with the steamy of the last novel, the smooch time diminishes quickly in this installment.  However the thrilling action remains. The intensity of this one will have you biting your nails, maybe even holding back a gag, and begging for the return of  love.  While I found myself engrossed with this, it's still very much different then anything I could have imagined.  The history of Evan's family will make you wish you remained in the dark.

Silencing Breath did not skimp on the horror, dark magic, and addition of new allies and villains.  It was a solid follow up within the series. I'm holding out many hopes that the next novel will return with a HUGE romantic BANG!



"switching genres in a series." For example Meyer did it with the final novel in the Twilight saga by taking it from YA to adult. In book two of your novel I noticed that it also transformed from paranormal romance to just paranormal.  Was this shift intentional? Please discuss.

I didn't intentionally switch genres. In fact, in my mind it is still paranormal romance because there is still so much focus on their love. I suppose it deviates from traditional romance in that the two lovers are apart for a large portion of the book.

The change was mostly an unconscious decision, based on where my gut told me the story should go. These characters wrote their own story, I just helped them out. I do think I may have disappointed some of my readers who really enjoyed the romance of my first book, but I've also had some readers say book two was far better. I guess it is subjective.


1 comment:

  1. This books sounds quite chilling. I think it's great the authour took a riak and lowered the romantic element in the sequel and amped the scary.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Ad