{Review}: Lies Beneath by Anne Greenwood Brown


Lies Beneath (Lies Beneath, #1)Lies Beneath (Lies Beneath, #1)
by Anne Greenwood Brown
EBook, 303 pages
Published June 12th 2012 
by Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Source: NetGalley
AmazonBarnes & Noble
Calder White lives in the cold, clear waters of Lake Superior, the only brother in a family of murderous mermaids. To survive, Calder and his sisters prey on humans and absorb their positive energy. Usually, they select their victims at random, but this time around, the underwater clan chooses its target for a reason: revenge. They want to kill Jason Hancock, the man they blame for their mother's death.
It's going to take a concerted effort to lure the aquaphobic Hancock onto the water. Calder's job is to gain Hancock's trust by getting close to his family. Relying on his irresistible good looks and charm, Calder sets out to seduce Hancock's daughter Lily. Easy enough, but Calder screws everything up by falling in love--just as Lily starts to suspect there's more to the monster-in-the-lake legends than she ever imagined, and just as the mermaids threaten to take matters into their own hands, forcing Calder to choose between them and the girl he loves.
One thing's for sure: whatever Calder decides, the outcome won't be pretty.



Lies Beneath was a mermaid dark romance with a mafia tone.  You have Calder, the lone single male member in female dominated school of fins. He's forced to rejoin the gang and contribute to the family business of feeding bodies to the fishes.

But this time the gig won't be luring "any" human to their watery grave; but the low down dirty rat that killed their mother (pronounced: mutha). Jason Hancock.  But in order to get close to him they have to get close to his kin.....and he only has daughters. So guess who's appointed to go in undercover?  Yep, good old Calder.


"Like any school of fish, once it was formed, no individual broke away from the group. Not for very long anyway, and not by choice."


I read this novel months ago; and I'm not sure why it took me so long to review it.  If I had to throw a notion in the wind I'd say it was because I started out not feeling it's tone. I grew to enjoy the story as the plot progressed.  However, initially I was under the preconceived notion of rainbow fins and singing lonely under the sea creatures longing for love and legs. Even when I read the synopsis, I was in denial convincing myself that there would be some misunderstood hunky merman of the Scandinavian folklore variety. Nope...No such luck. This wasn't cute...it was very macabre in a twisted variety of lovely.

The story mainly plays out in a small town on the banks of Lake Superior. It's told from Calder's point of view. The female characters that make up the "Goodfellas" were ruthless, dominating, sassy,and sexy. Calder, the only guy, was surprisingly the conscientious one. But he's not an angel by far.  Lily, the human who would be wooed', was also an eclectic cast.  She was a Shakespeare loving, hippie dressing, tattooed, boarder lining goth chick.



I loved the title, but I didn't particularly like the cover. It's misleading and fed into my "sparkly and pretty" assumption. I mean it looks like a girl diving, when I'm sure it was meant to be Calder.  I liked the Italian cover way better.

Calder doesn't look girly at all there.  Besides that cover conveys a sort of grunge feel true to the story.

The tempo was a bit too fast.  Granted the general theory is Lily's a teenage girl and it wouldn't have taken much to make her infatuated.  But I disagree.  Her personality was just too disagreeable and she was far smarter then the mermaids thought.  I would have liked her to be more leery of the mysterious Calder then she acted towards the tipping point. But of course it wasn't just about these two.  There were other sidebar romances, drama, love triangles and twist thrown in the mix.

Overall I found Lies Beneath to be a redeemable time filler. I didn't want to like it after reading the first few pages; but who am I kidding. Lies Beneath is the epitome of legendary aquatic creatures with a bad reputation and the capacity to love. There was a sort of "ride into the sunset" type of ending that left me wondering if there would be a sequel. Lucky for me Deep Betrayal was released.  Any yet again I found myself with a complementary ARC softback via the publisher. So I'm off to read this new shinny toy! Until next time...



**Big thanks to the author, publisher, and NetGalley for entrusting me with an honest review.**



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Ad