From Novel to Movie

What do you think of novel to book adaptations? Seems today much young adult fiction is making the transition onto the silver screen. I find the concept fascinating and exciting.

Years ago when I was going through a difficult time and seeking escape, I re-discovered the joy of reading. Through watching movies, reading the novels they were based on, and forming arguments offline and online about the compare and contrast.

My first was Twilight  followed closely by the Shooki Stackhouse series and The Vampire Diaries. The quiet moments of reading and energy I put into forming debatable arguments with my spouse and GoodReads friends proved to be quit the distraction. I eventually moved on to simply read & review with online outlets.

Now as I look around there seems to be a fad of teen book to movies taking over ALL the air space on the big screens as well as the little ones. I'm slow to buy into hype. In fact I'd rather be the very last to read a popular book. Yet there's something about seeing a character act it out that makes me ponder reconsidering.

Here's a list of the 2013 YA inspired films, I'm scheduling for my next date nigh in spite of my initial reluctance:

Now Available... 

Beautiful Creatures(2013)
PG-13 124 min -
Drama|Fantasy|Romance - 
14 February 2013 (USA)
 DVD
Instant Video
E-book, Paperback, Hardback

The Novel

Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1)Do you think there was enough buzz for director, Richard LaGravenese, to consider completing the saga? He has a reputation for screenplay writing and/or directing to bring novels such as Water for Elephants (2011), Unstrung Heroes (1995) , and Freedom Writers (2007)  to the unread masses. Yet I did not see a history of sequels in his portfolio.  




The Host(2013)
PG-13 125 min -
Action|Adventure|Romance -
29 March 2013 (USA)
E-book, Paperback, Hardback
DVD


The Novel

The Host (The Host, #1)I think Stephanie Meyer has already proven with Twilight that she can shut down the box office and milk the hell out of a saga.  So love her or hate her, she's sure to do the same with the Host trilogy.  I actually thoroughly enjoyed this novel and look forward to the sequel.  I'm a little bummed though that no cover or release date info is forthcoming five years later. Perhaps now that The Host's en route to pay-per-view, she'll light her own fire before the hype die down and people loose interest.


Warm Bodies (2013) PosterWarm Bodies (2013)
PG-13 98 min  -
Comedy | Horror | Romance  -
1 February 2013 (USA)
E-book, Paperback, Hardback
Instant Video
DVD

  The Novel
Warm Bodies (Warm Bodies #1)This is a novel I'm ashamed to say I'd never heard of until I saw the movie premiers.  *Hangs head*






Coming to Theaters Soon... 
I've read both of these and look forward to opening night!


The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones(2013)
Action|Adventure|Drama -
 21 August 2013 (USA) 
E-book, Paperback, Hardback
The Novel

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)



I think we're in good hands with Harald Zwart. City of Ashes is already in pre-production.

 I sure hope they don't give up like a certain production group did The Golden Compass.  I'm still peeved about that! Hey Chris Weitz you gave use good American Pie now give us more of His Dark Materials trilogy.




The Hunger Games: Catching Fire(2013)
Action|Adventure|Sci-Fi - 
22 November 2013 (USA)
E-book, Paperback, Hardback


I'm already there!  And I'll be repping team Peeta wearing my "Peeta Has Croissants" tee.

The Novel
Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2)

2 comments:

  1. Love the Hunger games movies. I always get so worried when a book gets made into a movie. Especially now after the Twilight movies made such a mockery of the book, which I now hardly dare tell anyone I actually liked before all the hype. I read The Host and liked it and am interested to see the movie. I'm also interested in City of Bones but haven't read the others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched the Hunger Games and though they did a good job, it just did not match the book for me. The Mortal Instruments is coming out in August and I can't wait to watch it! Although I'm not really sure about who they've cast as Jace :S. I didn't know Warm Bodies was a novel before I saw the trailers either, so you're not alone!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Ad