Tour Stop {Review}: Uprising by Jessica Therrien

Uprising (Children of the Gods #2)Uprising (Children of the Gods #2)
by Jessica Therrien 
386 pages
Published May 28th 2013 by ZOVA Books
Amazon | B&N | GoodReads | Facebook
Elyse has done everything she can to protect her friends from The Council's reach. As long as they believe she's dead, she has time to rest and train for war. And war is inevitable.
When Kara arrives with the news that Anna and Chloe have been captured, Elyse is faced with the realization that no one is safe until The Council is stopped and Christoph is destroyed. She doesn't need a prophecy to tell her to lead an army. Christoph has done the one thing that ensures she'll fight to the death. He's threatened the people she loves.
It will take more than the words of an oracle to help them fight against the most powerful Descendant alive. To break The Council's oppression and rise up against a plot so many years in the making, Elyse will need to get dangerously close to her enemy. So close, in fact, she may not survive.

Making Greek Mythology Your Own

Hey there well dressed bookworms :) I’m Jessica Therrien, author of the Children of the Gods series. Katrina has asked me to stop by and talk to you all about giving Greek Mythology an original spin to create an interesting story…

One of my favorite things about Paranormal YA is that it turns the mundane into something mysterious and intriguing. I love the idea that secret fantasy worlds could be happening all around us, right under our noses.

I remember after my sister read Twilight, she and my mom took off for Forks to “look for vampires.” It was all for fun of course, but I wanted to create that kind of world. I wanted readers to look up from the page and wonder who around them had supernatural powers. Using Greek mythology gave me the foundation I needed to create a secret race that seemed realistic. If a supernatural race of people who lived long lives and had powers existed back in ancient Greece, surely they’d be mistaken for gods. The premise seemed logical. It was the perfect way to create a realistic, yet paranormal, storyline.

As I researched Greek mythology I came across a ton of different figures and stories. Each one sparked my imagination. I had so much fun coming up with abilities for each bloodline. One of my favorite bloodlines in Uprising is that of Aether, god of the bright glowing upper air of heaven. A new character named Alex is descendant of Aether, and he has such an awesome power. You’ll have to read to find out what it is…

In the meantime, what ability would you give to the descendant of Aether if it was your story? I’m curious to see what other creative minds come up with.

Many thanks to Katrina for taking part in my blog tour! Thanks for having me!!

About the Author
Jessica Therrien is the author of the young adult paranormal fiction series Children of the Gods. Book one in the series, Oppression, was published by ZOVA Books in February of 2012 and became a Barnes & Noble best-seller shortly after its release. The second book in the series, Uprising, will be available in May of 2013.
Aside from her Children of the Gods series, Jessica’s work can also be found in a published collection of flash fiction stories called Campaigner Challenges 2011. Out of over 350 submissions her story, The Soulless, won first place for people’s choice and fourth place in the judging round of Rachael Harrie’s Writing Campaign Challenge. Her story, Saved, is also available as part of the anthology.
Jessica currently lives in Chula Vista with her husband and is working on book three in her Children of the Gods series.




Uprising is the sequel in the Children of Gods series and it came one year after Oppression. I was thoroughly impression with this swing on modern Greek Mythology.  I was excited to the point of incoherence in my last review and was even more thrilled to receive an ARC review copy this time around.

And yet...

The second I read the first page, I drew a blank.  While Uprising started right where Oppression left off, I was disoriented.  I had only a vague memory of   the last account of Elise and William.  Lucky for me Jessica Therrien  filled in the gaps with bite sized snippets.  And it all came rushing back...

There's decedents of Gods that live among us and they have been oppressed for far too long.  Now they are on the brink of civil war.  Through an ancient prophecy, Elyse is the key to their salvation. There was a scene at the end of Oppression that left the two's fate unknown.

Elyse and William, assumed dead, must run and prepare to lead a race of half immortals. Christophe, the  council member with the ability to "off switch" the power of any descendant who opts to rise against him, knows Elyse survived!  While Elyse is flagged untouchable, this madman has other bait to make her yield to his will and he's not afraid to hit below the belt.

Uprising was was a step up in this series- a high octane adventure that hit on romance, action, and suspense. One thing however that was simply agony was Elyse's omission of information.  Her method for protecting the love of her life was through secrecy and "that" I found unacceptable. Her physical & mental growth and thrust is a journey in this novel.  In Oppression, I wished for a kick ass heroine.  In Uprising, I was given ass kicking in doves!  Uprising was total chaos with moments of peace. The reader gets glimpses of Elyse's struggle to lead as well as into the origins of the enemy's villainy.  Elyse and William's relationship progresses as well.  Their chemical dynamics was simmering.  I just wanted to melt into a puddle on the floor.  They were simply a-dor-able.   I savored every single twist in the plot.  Their onsets were unanticipated and the execution and follow through simply superb! I crave more Children of Gods.  


5 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Ad