Idella Pinson & Borrowed Lives by Kevin Crouch

Idella Pinson
by Kevin Crouch
Paperback, 12 pages
Published July 12th 2013
by Crouch Books
Goodreads | Amazon
"A short story about one of the characters from the novel Borrowed Lives."
Young and naïve, Idella Pinson makes a foolish choice in love that she soon regrets. When the situation turns deadly, she finds an inner strength she never knew, and an ally she doesn’t suspect.

Borrowed Lives
by Kevin Crouch
Paperback, 340 pages
Published July 12th 2013
by Crouch Books
Goodreads |Amazon
Reclusive literary researcher Ray Haddon is on the verge of a breakdown. The carefully crafted cyber wall that kept the outside world at bay became a prison after the death of a trusted mentor. It appears that the only way out of this self-inflicted fortress of solitude is to retreat into the past to figure out how life got so complicated. But this is not to be solely a mental exercise. The secret behind Ray's successful career is the ability to transfer consciousness back in time to inhabit the borrowed bodies and lives of others, gathering research material first-hand. Desperate for a way out of the present predicament, Ray schedules two weeks for quiet soul-searching in ancient...
About the Author
I grew up in a beautiful Northern California village that was entirely too small for my big imagination. Nearly every free hour was spent at the local library, reading about distant places I could only dream of visiting, and people whose lives were far more interesting than my own. At night, I would fall asleep imagining myself occupying the lives of the people that I came to know on paper.
Eventually, I escaped and was able to see some of the world that I had read about and have adventures of my own. As I continued to read, I became fascinated by the coincidences of history that cut across time: how people and places and dates intersect in unexpected ways, although sometimes separated by thousands of years. Along the way, I acquired a wife and best friend, a degree in fashion design, and a son, in that order.
More years passed. Careers came and went; some glamorous and some not. Over time, I found that the thing I most enjoyed doing was helping others to discover and develop their own talents. Thus, about ten years ago, I became a professor of fashion at a design college on the outer fringes of Nashville, Tennessee. I love the work, I love the creativity, and I love the freedom to dream.
More information about the book and its characters can be found at www.kevincrouchwrites.com
Amazon Author’s page: www.amazon.com/author/kevincrouch
www.facebook.com/kevincrouchwrites/



What inspired you to write Borrowed Lives?


My wife and I were in San Francisco to film interviews for a cable television documentary. Our suite at the Mark Hopkins Hotel had a glassed-in private terrace that gave spectacular views across the surrounding hills and out to the ocean’s horizon. I awoke pre-dawn each day to watch the sun rise and bring the city to life; it was magical to watch. One morning, as first light was just beginning to outline the hills, the basic storyline which became Borrowed Lives came to me in an almost complete state. It just kind of rolled out as daylight crept higher and higher. I can’t explain how or why; the story was just there.

The more research I did, the more I was struck by how the various characters involved—most of which are actual historical figures—shared coincidental connections in real life. I wrote the book just to get the story out of my head: it kind of demanded to be written down. Again, I am at a loss to explain it.


I've heard through the grapevine that you're a college professor.  Were any characters in this book inspired by former students?

I keep threatening to write a book about my crazy experiences in the classroom; certainly some of my students qualify as characters. A few would even make suitable villains! While no one student inspired a character in this book, the overall theme of our twenties being the time of life when we discover who we really are is shared by both my students and my main character.


What's the future of Borrowed Lives?  (series, trilogy, saga, etc)

Borrowed Lives is the first installment of a storyline that encompasses two additional books, which are already mapped out. I am currently doing research to flesh out book number two, and hope to have it completed a year from now.


If you were stranded on a desert island, what three books would you have?  E-readers are not an option, because they would die rather quickly with no power.

Personally, I prefer the experience of a physical book in my hands, so not having access to an E-reader is not a problem. I would have a difficult time choosing just 3 books, but several that I find myself returning to again and again are The Red Tent by Anita Diamant, Northanger Abbey one of the lesser works by Jane Austen, and The Spy Wore Red by Aline, Countess of Romanones. Each is very different from the others, but all share the ability to transport the reader to a specific time and place.


If Borrowed Lives was adapted into a motion picture, tell us your dream cast.

Although I have a very clear picture in my head of what each character looks like, I am reluctant to share that. I think it is better for each reader to imagine the characters for themself. Personally, when I read a book, I like to imagine myself as the main character. A well written book allows the reader to do that.


What 5 songs would be on the musical soundtrack for Borrowed Lives?

An interesting question, and one which I have never before considered. Hmm…  My personal musical taste is rather esoteric and all over the board—from early 1920s jazz, to pre-Beatles rock and roll, to Studio 54 disco and beyond—none of which is suitable for the period settings of the book. Although, it would be hysterical to do covers of modern songs in period style and see if the audience caught on.


We love fashion here, so tell us a little about the lead character's style. (Hair, clothes, shoes, etc)

One of the bodies my time travelling lead character borrows is that of an Edwardian minor aristocrat who is dressed by the then-fashionable London couturiere Lucile. Lucile, a.k.a. Lady Duff Gordon, was especially known for an ultra-feminine, improvisational style that relied on delicate fabrics and a pale color palette. Few of her best gowns survive today because of the fragility of their materials. A passage from the book that sums up the essence of the Lucile style describes a typical gown:


Frost turned to find Olivia standing in the doorway wearing one of Lucile’s signature tea gowns: a rose petal haze that appeared to have been blown together on a breeze, assembled from gossamer wisps of chiffon, lace and silk tulle, all bound together with a spidery web of delicate silver embroidery. As she moved forward, she seemed almost an apparition against the sparkle of candlelight flickering from every corner of the room. “


As far as modern fashion designers go, my current favorites are Amato, Rodarte, and vintage Lacroix.

That will probably change with the next batch of fashion books I order; I have fickle tastes and am forever discovering new sources of inspiration.


You can find out more about the author and characters of Borrowed Lives at kevincrouchwrites.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Ad