The Quick & Skinny # 1




I read a lot of books, but I don’t always write a review. (Say what?) Yeah I know. I’m a horrible person. (Uh huh!) I know I'm a book bloggy slacker some times. (Really now?) Don’t even know why I’m having a conversation with myself… The truth of the matter is I still doubt my ability to express myself. I started this blog as a means to help me overcome that. And yet has used this as a means to revert to my former secluded mannerisms with this blog as a front.  Yep so I’m acknowledging that while making baby steps to rectify.  I will give mini updates on novel(s) even when I don’t write a full review.  This will be  more of an add on to my Goodreads status rants. No ratings. Just my thoughts.  This new segment will be called The Quick & Skinny!


Divergent (Divergent, #1)
Divergent (Divergent #1)
by Veronica Roth
Read from July 05 to 08, 2013
Buy It
I read this one for my new offline book club.  I was not born under a rock. I've had a hardback copy of this novel for months now. Yet I refused to read it.  Why? Well I'm one of those people who refuses to ride the hype waves.  Seriously! If I novel is deemed "perfect" I won't read it until no one is talking about it anymore. Silly maybe, but that's me.  Well I want to slap myself for this one, because I loved every minute of it. Tris reminded me so much of myself.  I won't go into a personal tangent, but I will say that I came from a somewhat prude family. I was the smallest and the only girl among all male siblings and I joined the Army.  So yeah, I could see myself in Tris and dammit if I'm not on the fan girl wagon now.




Barbie World (Baby Doll, #2)
Barbie World (Baby Doll #2)
by Heidi Acosta
Read from July 05 to 06, 2013
Not Yet Released
I absolutely loved book one. This was a frustrating follow up mainly because things didn't play out exactly the way I had hoped. Since I'm scheduled to review this later on the tour, I'll leave my rant at that for now.

What's refreshing is "this is the end". Seriously! Well that's my theory anyway judging by the way it ended. No trilogy or saga or five books.  Now when was the last time you read a book and the sequel and felt complete?




Sunshine (Sunshine, #1)
Sun Poisoned (Sunshine, #2)
Sun Poisoned (Sunshine #2)
by Nikki Rae
Read from June 13 to 24, 2013
Buy It

Sunshine (Sunshine #1)
by Nikki Rae
Read from June 09 to 12, 2013
Buy It
This series blew me away.  I have absolutely no excuse on my review delay.  Other than the fact that I have no words to justify my feelings and express them completely.  Everything about vampire fiction/paranormal romance I hated before and even some I didn't realize I hated were corrected in this series.  The lead female did not cease her life when she learned his secret and follow him as if her life no longer mattered. Nope. Oh and things didn't all of a sudden become peachy because he's supernatural. Nope the foof up factor of life remained the same. Relationships and drama still payed out. Dammit if I don't absolutely love Nikki Rae!  I will be the first to nominate myself as ringleader of the street team for this series.  When Nikki referenced Sophie's voice to that of Emilie Autumn, there was no turning back for me.  Please bear with me because I truly intend to write that full review for both of these.

 
Echo (Soul Seekers, #2)Echo (The Soul Seekers #2)
by Alyson Noel
Read from June 07 to 16, 2013
Buy It
This was so much better than the first book in this series, Fated.  I was a brief fan of The Immortal series.  I fell off around book four.  The sexual tension was just too much for me.  Does that make me sound like a bad person.  It's funny because it almost sound perverted even to me, but I am so far from that.  There just was too much between Ever and Damen. I wanted a romance, but instead got a whole heap of drama.  I lost hope.  But I degrees.  The Soul Seeker series was like the complete opposite.  With the romance anyway.  While there was a particular scene in Fated (book one) that grossed me out beyond words, this follow up was much better.  I didn't love it, but I liked it enough to be interested in continuing the series.  I listened to this novel via audio book and I also adored the reader's voice.






Come What May (Heartbeat, #2)Come What May (Heartbeat #2)
by Faith Sullivan
Read from June 02 to 08, 2013
Buy It
I had an internal battle with this one.....the dark side won. While the plot keep me yelling at the pages, it was far too dramatic and unstable to be the follow up to the Heartbeat I know and love. I would have preferred the first to be a standalone if I'm forced to believe here that none of it was ever real. Sigh....woe is me....

I really wanted to cry after reading this. I had so many questions on the turn of events.  I am so thankful that the author is down to earth and accessible.  She allowed me a character interview.  This helped me to understand and I think the next novel won't be such a hard pill to swallow.  I only hope other fans who doubted this one, reads the interview as well. It was like balm to my little reading heart.






 
 Oh there's more...many more but I'll save it for the next Quick & Skinny!
Now that I think about it, I'm sure I may not be the only one to ever think of a mini review segment. If you know of one, please let me know and I'll be sure to link up and share the wealth of my opinions. :D



 

3 comments:

  1. I like the mini reviews, you do them perfectly! It's just enough to pique my interest while still leaving me curious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for including your love for Adam in the very first "The Quick and Skinny!"

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Ad