Tour Stop {Guest Post/ Book Excerpt}: HINDSIGHT by Sarah Belle

Hindsight
by Sarah Belle
Published July 1st 2013
by Escape Publishing - Harlequin Enterprises, Australia Pty Ltd

The universe has sent Juliette a sign. She wishes it had been an email instead...
Juliette’s career is on fire, her marriage and family are in melt-down, and a red-hot goddess wants her husband. But those are the least of her worries when she wakes up on her lounge room floor in the year 1961.
Without any of her modern conveniences — nanny, housekeeper, surgically attached mobile phone, designer wardrobe, and intravenous lattes — Juliette is just over fifty years out of her comfort zone. But as she takes on the role of a 1961 housewife, with gritted liberated teeth, she discovers an unexpected truth: slower doesn’t mean boring, at home doesn’t mean dull, and priorities don’t mean sacrifices.
As she finds unexpected friendships, a resuscitated love life, tragedy and triumph, Juliette begins to wonder if she really wants to return home after all.
 

 




Like the vast majority of writers, I am a huge reader.  I was a reader long before it ever occurred to me to give writing a go and I read a variety of genres – crime, thriller, suspense, fantasy, literary and biographical. Being brought up in a literary household, where the classics were encouraged with force, I had never, ever picked up a Women’s Fiction style of book until I was nearly 33! Crazy, hey?
In the long, lonely nights of the breastfeeding months, (I had 4 babies in 6 years, so there was a lot of boob time!), I decided that if I was going to sit in a darkened room (so as not to wake the baby too much!), I may as well be reading a book.  I went and bought a tiny book light, visited my local library and found my first Chick Lit/ Romantic Comedy in the form of Jenny Colgan’s ‘Do you remember the first time?’
I laughed and laughed (quietly – still didn’t want that baby to get too wakeful) and soon enough, my long, lonely nights of breastfeeding weren’t so long and lonely. Hell, who am I kidding – of course they were long. I resembled the walking dead, only with more static in my hair, darker rings under my eyes and a lower IQ. But I now had company in the form of fantastic books, filled with characters I could relate to, who made me laugh and cry, who took me with them on their journey,  who made me feel less alone in this new ‘mummy world’ I was floating around in.
These characters talked of the challenges of motherhood, the loneliness of being a new mum, the total change in identity from being a working woman to someone whose daily life was now dictated by a small human being who needed to eat and feed constantly. They talked of the way they felt, how much their relationships had changed, what their body looked and felt like after giving birth, their plummeting self confidence and body image. It was comforting to read that I was not the only person who felt all these things, and more.
Yes, I know that they were all fictional characters, but at the time that was just a technicality.  They didn’t become imaginary friends or anything -  I wasn’t completely loopy. The point is that I had found a genre of book that I absolutely loved, even if my classics-loving mother asked me why I would want to read ‘that s*#t’!  My answer was, ‘Mum, it’s good s*#t!’
From that day, ten years ago, I have read hundreds of Chick Lit / Romantic Comedy / Women’s Fiction books, and I have loved the vast majority of them. So much so that I have written my own which has been published by Escape Publishing. Just as I got endless laughs and tears from all the books I have read, the journeys I have shared, the characters I’ve loved and hated,  I hope that you get the same from HINDSIGHT.
If you’d like to pop over to one of the social media sites, I’d really love to hear from you!






Humour, wit, and just a touch of humility: the swinging 60s as you’ve never seen them before! 
The universe has sent Juliette a sign. She wishes it had been an email instead...
Juliette’s career is on fire, her marriage and family are in melt-down, and a red-hot goddess wants her husband. But those are the least of her worries when she wakes up on her lounge room floor in the year 1961.
Without any of her modern conveniences — nanny, housekeeper, surgically attached mobile phone, designer wardrobe, and intravenous lattes — Juliette is just over fifty years out of her comfort zone. But as she takes on the role of a 1961 housewife, with gritted liberated teeth, she discovers an unexpected truth: slower doesn’t mean boring, at home doesn’t mean dull, and priorities don’t mean sacrifices.
As she finds unexpected friendships, a resuscitated love life, tragedy and triumph, Juliette begins to wonder if she really wants to return home after all.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Ad