Library Punishment

I’ve been a very bad reader.  I’ve somehow racked up $80.00 in overdue fees.  As I recall the day I was notified, I wisped into the branch with my handy dandy tote and a list of novels to seek out.  I found them all with ease, heck I even picked up a coin collecting fact book for my friend.  I waited patiently in line, scanned my card and book on the auto check out pad and got an error message.  I stepped in the line to talk to a librarian and told her about my issues.  When she told me I owed almost a hundred dollars,  I nearly passed out.  Don’t they have like a twenty dollar limit on these things?  Heck I knew I owed “some” money and even had a pocket full of nickels and dimes on standby.   I nearly cried, because Lord knows I don’t have that kind of money to give the public library.  After a little talking (on her part) and whining (on mine), she gave me some slack.  She took off about half the cost as first-time forgiveness. Apparently I checked out a DVD at one time and, at a dollar a day, was well past the due date returning.  I’m like geez, I should have kept the dang thing for what I paid for it.  It reminds me of that episode on Married with Children when Al Bundy returned The Little Engine That Could. 

Man if I could have done a sneak-attack-return to avoid paying, like Al, I would. Only I wouldn’t get caught, unlike him.  I’m just glad the librarian I encountered was much nicer than his.

At any rate, I’m on Library Ban…no checking out books until tax return. (Or until the Government is back up and running.)

I’ve got to say it’s kind of embarrassing in the scheme of things. Failing to return stuff on time is not very bad ass in the real world…but I’d bet they’ve got “Wanted” posters somewhere with my face on it. How else would that lady know my first name? It could because the library is my hang out spot, but I like to think it's because I’m a regular Outlaw!   



8 comments:

  1. Tsk tsk Katrina you are just a down right criminal now. I bet your image and name are on a poster pinned to the wall of every library within 20 miles ;).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I now travel to the branches incognito and have developed an alias"Rabbit Sky"! Shh, don't tell nobody. *lol*

      Delete
  2. Lol! I didn't think it was possible to rack up $80 in library fines!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the last time i used my library i was accused of not returning a book (1 year prior) the overdue fee was like $60 and i was like 12 years old. I insisted that i returned the book. I remembered the title and author. When the librarian said i couldnt check out any books till i paid and returned the book i cried. My nana was with me and said she would pay it. Instead of paying i went to the shelf where the book was supposed to be and pulled it off the shelf. One year later and that bad boy was checked in and out at least 12 times after the date i returned it. All the librarian did was apologize and reminded me to turn my books in ( she still thought i faked it somehow)

    Sadly the same lady works there so i dont use my library

    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your situation sounds just like Al Bundy's!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Ad