Review: Splintered By A.G. Howard


Splintered
(splintered #1)
 by A.G. Howard
Hardback, pages 371
Published Januray 1st by Amulet books
Owned

Goodreads / Amazon


This stunning debut captures the grotesque madness of a mystical under-land, as well as a girl’s pangs of first love and independence. Alyssa Gardner hears the whispers of bugs and flowers—precisely the affliction that landed her mother in a mental hospital years before. This family curse stretches back to her ancestor Alice Liddell, the real-life inspiration for Lewis Carroll’s Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. Alyssa might be crazy, but she manages to keep it together. For now.
When her mother’s mental health takes a turn for the worse, Alyssa learns that what she thought was fiction is based in terrifying reality. The real Wonderland is a place far darker and more twisted than Lewis Carroll ever let on. There, Alyssa must pass a series of tests, including draining an ocean of Alice’s tears, waking the slumbering tea party, and subduing a vicious bandersnatch, to fix Alice’s mistakes and save her family. She must also decide whom to trust: Jeb, her gorgeous best friend and secret crush, or the sexy but suspicious Morpheus, her guide through Wonderland, who may have dark motives of his own.


 
 
This is a Mythical twisted DARKER version of Alice in wonderland that sweeps you off your feet and has you hooked even beyond the end. When I finished this book I still wanted more!
Splintered is a book that just captures you and Never lets you go. Even after I finished this novel I it was on my mind. I haven't had a book that has made me REALLY think and stayed with me in a while.
So you meet Alyssa, Alice Liddell's Great Great Great granddaughter and the inspiration for Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures into Wonderland. Alyssa can hear bugs and flowers talking to her.  Alyssa's mom is already in an Asylum. When Alyssa was younger her mom Alice was attacking the flowers and accidentally hurt her very bad. She was screaming off with her head. Yeah, they sent her away after that one. During a visit with her mother they are outside in the garden and her and her mother can both hear the flowers whispering and then Alyssa hears a bug saying he's here for you! Her mother responds to the bug. She realizes when her mother answers that bug that she is not crazy! They both had heard it!  It turns out that there is a family curse and Alyssa needs to find the rabbit hole to break it.
 
Alyssa Finds the rabbit hole and ends up accidentally bringing Jeb (her neighbor and SECRET crush) along for the ride. When she gets there she learns that this place is a dangerous dark twisted place and nothing at all like the story Alice's Adventures Into Wonderland. When Alyssa gets there she has to face a series of Test to break the curse on her family. We also meet the Dark netherling Morpheus, Someone From Alyssa's dreams that she remembers. He is there to help her along the way, but can she trust him??
 
 
I absolutely without a doubt love the dark and twisted story. Alice Liddell was very young when she fell into that rabbit hole so things weren't really what they seemed to her. We learn that the white rabbit is actually a creepier scarier thing and is actually called a White Rabid. You also learn what Off with her head REALLY means..... Dun Dun Dun. This book has a HUGEEEEEEE Twist you think you should have seen coming. oh but no you don't see it at all. It hits you like a BUS!
 
 
The writing style is wonderful. This book flows so well you would NEVER guess this is A.G. Howards first novel. I find her to be a genius. I am so excited for Unhinged book 2 to come out. I feel like It cant get here fast enough
:) 
 

 
 
 
 
 


3 comments:

  1. I loved this story as well! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree!! Thank goodness Unhinged comes out in a little over a month!! The Moth in the Mirror novella helped stave off some of my Wonderland hunger pangs, but I am ready to dive into the new story, head first!! I think I will reread Splintered in the meantime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes I just got Month in the mirror, but I will def. be rereading this novel again before unhinged comes out. Its one that really sucked me in and had my mind going!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Ad