A few weeks ago, one of my military sisters posed a question to us about what to wear to job interviews and to work once she becomes a civilian. Her dilemma was that she's not fashionable. She's a plain Jane when it comes to clothing. Her go to style is jeans, tanks and flip flops.
I'm sure there are other people out there that have the same dilemma. Your work style doesn't have to be runway ready. There are simple pieces that everyone should have in their wardrobe. After that, all you will need is to find different variations of these staple pieces and you'll be good to go.
The following items are a what I think should be staple wardrobe items. Check it out:
1. A Black Suit - This should be a staple because you can mix and match these pieces with other items within your wardrobe. I personally think that everyone should have at least one suit. Other color suits could be gray, brown or navy blue.
2. Blouse - Pretty, feminine tops will help you feel professional but non-masculine. You should have at least 4-5 in your closet.
3. A pencil skirt - A well cut pencil skirt is great for mixing and matching with other items in your wardrobe.
4. Pumps - black pumps are the perfect work heel. I would say have at least 2 pair.
5. Classic handbag - A classic handbag or satchel to carry your things (i.e. laptop, lunch) in style and class.
Once you get these items it will be easy to add other items or variations of these same styles. Other items that you can add are classic jewelry items (i.e. pearls), cardigans, v-neck sweaters, etc.
The key thing is to be comfortable in your own skin and present a professional appearance. It seems that most people, that aren't into fashion, get anxious about what to wear to work. I say keep it simple. I hope these basic items help you guys!
So what do you guys think? Too much? Not enough? Please comment below with questions and/or feedback! Thank you guys for stopping by and I will definitely see you next week!
Educate. Inspire. Transform