Blast from my Past: ARC Review: The Snow Queen By Alana Albertson


ARC Review: The Snow Queen by Alana Albertson               


The Snow Queen
Alana Albertson
80 Pages
Published December 8th 2013
E-book provided by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review


Five years ago, Cambridge Ballet's Sugar Plum Fairy vanished after performing The Nutcracker. Despite extensive city and statewide searches, no traces of her, besides her ballet slippers, were ever found. Every year since, another member of the cast has gone missing after closing night: a Spanish Hot Chocolate, an Arabian Dancer, The Dew Drop Fairy, a Flower. Nieves Alba, who as a thirteen-year-old played Clara in the first ill-fated performance, is now cast as the Snow Queen. On closing night, every police officer in Boston surrounds the theater, determined to catch the perpetrator whom they’ve dubbed “The Nutcracker.” Can Nieves break the curse or will she be the next victim of America's favorite ballet?



The cover of this book grabbed my attention Immediately! Absolutely stunning!
I have read and reviewed this novel in the past, but I loved this little story so much, I thought I would reread it and review it. It really is a hidden treasure!

This is a novella which makes it MUCH shorter than a normal novel. I usually don't read short stories because they always seemed rushed, short and bland. The Snow Queen was not your typical short story. It had a bit of Romance, Mystery, and fantasy all wrapped up into a satisfying 80 pages.  Lately I have been having such good luck with novellas that I decided this was one that definitely needed exposure.


The Snow Queen is a romance mystery and it was super fun trying to dissect. You have Nieves who started out in the ballet at 13 yrs old as Clara in the Nutcracker. That year The Sugar plum Fairy disappeared. After the first disappearance every year another female cast member would come up missing (crazy right!) Nieves knows something isn't right and tried piecing it altogether,  but she is so distracted with becoming the Snow Queen she kind of brushes the disappearances to the side. Determined not to let anyone or anything get in the way.

I really enjoyed this story my biggest complaint is I did NOT want it to end. This story has a bit of a unrealistic aspect to it, but that didn't really bug me. I mean I read about vampires, were wolves, and zombie apocalypses so it really wasn't to big deal

I have never been to a ballet. The most exposure I have ever had is with the Barbie Nutcracker (I have a 4 and 5 yr old so I see it ALOT). When it came to the terminology and dance moves I thought I would be so lost, but that definitely was not the case. The author did so well with the description that I felt like I was there in the first row! I was able to in vision the beauty and flow of the dances which took it all to a whole new level for me.
I really enjoyed Alana Albertsons writing style and I really hope she decides to go forth with more of this story in the future (she definitely left that open for possibility)

The flow of Snow Queen is flawless and will have you dancing through the pages.





1 comment:

  1. I think I have a copy of this on my kindle. Definitely need to read it if it's that good.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Ad