ARC Review of Alpha Goddess by Amalie Howard



Alpha Goddess

By: Amalie Howard
eBook400 pages
Expected publication: March 4th 2014 by Skyhorse/ Sky Pony Press
Genre:Young Adult
copy provided by netgalley in exchange for an honest review

In Seraphine Caelum’s world, gods exist. So do goddesses. Sera knows this because she is one of them. A secret long concealed by her parents, Sera is Lakshmi reborn, the human avatar of an immortal Indian goddess rumored to control all the planes of existence—Illysia (the Light Realm), Earth (the Mortal Realm), and Xibalba (the Dark Realm). Marked by the sigils of both heaven and hell, Sera’s avatar is meant to bring balance to the mortal world, but all she creates is chaos. A chaos that Azraiel, the Asura Lord of Death, hopes to use to unleash hell on earth.
Torn between reconciling her past and present, Sera must figure out how to stop Azraiel before the Mortal Realm is destroyed. But trust doesn’t come easy in a world fissured by lies and betrayal. Her best friend Kyle is hiding his own dark secrets, and her mysterious new neighbor, Devendra, seems to know a lot more than he’s telling. Struggling between her opposing halves and her attraction to the boys tied to each of them, Sera must become the goddess she was meant to be, or risk failing, which means sacrificing the world she was born to protect.
Retellings of classic fairy tales and Greek myths are becoming staples in the YA and adult fiction genres, and now Amalie Howard, author of the popular Bloodspell, brings the myth of Rama and Sita’s love story to an exciting new level. Howard’s stunningly fresh voice and imaginative characters promise to make Alpha Goddess an exciting addition to the young adult fiction world. Aimed at readers ages 13 to 17, both girls and boys will relate to Sera's and Kyle's realistic teen persona and dilemmas while learning more about a famous Hindu myth. -Amazon


                                                                           

Characters:
Sera: A 16 year old girl who is experiencing crazy lifelike nightmares. Has an awesome younger brother Nate and overprotective parents who try to dictate her every move. High school is her first form of actual public school (thanks to her strict parents).
Kyle: Sera's very Hunky best friend whom she has known for a few years. Someone her parents have now banished her from seeing. He is the troubled teen. A foster child. Dresses as if he is Goth/Punk
Dev: Sera's newest friend. A mysterious guy with an unusual Tattoo that has Sera intrigued since the first time she saw it.
Your average line up right?

But there is definitely more to these characters than what meets the eye! It goes much deeper.
And the worst part of all is...... Everybody but Sera knows whats going on and who they are.

This is based on Hindu Mythology. I have never heard anything about the Hindu religion or the mythology before reading this novel. I love this concept and it is VERY interesting. Something I definitely haven't seen done in the YA genre before which makes this book that much better to me!

My biggest Con is the Love triangle. I know I say this often but I am so over love triangles twilight really just ruined them for me. This particular love triangle sucked because I REALLY enjoyed both of the guys in this book. When you learn of Sera and Dev's story you will then really see why I am so torn between the two (but not giving anything away). To the authors defense the love triangle does go with the story she is bringing to life for us. 
So basically the love triangle is part of the myth, it is not just thrown in for our entertainment.

This book started off a little slow for me, but Definitely picks up and when it picks up it does so quickly. Once we learn more about whats going on and whose who the story all comes together more and the action really begins!

One other thing I didn't like is Sera at the beginning of the book. She was very unlikable and sometimes almost pathetic to me. She considered herself ugly, awkward, and gangling. She even went as far as to describe herself as looking like a gargoyle. Yet she had these two beautiful guys pining over her. If that's what looking like a gargoyle gets you, then gees sign me up!
Oh but Sera sure does redeem herself and becomes the bad ass heroine I knew she could be!

I may have disliked the Love Triangle and Sera in the beginning, but I really enjoyed this novel and I will go as far to say I rate this novel an EPIC read. The author put this novel together so well. The execution as a whole is flawless. This is a book I will be recommending to everyone I know (Yes Katrina this means I will be sending you a text gushing about this book) 


I also want to take the time to let Everyone know March 13 I will have Amalie Howard on the blog for an an Author interview + giveaway! So be sure to come by and check it out!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Ad