The Power of a Name

My absolute favorite part from Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet was Juliet's balcony ramblings:

What’s in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;


I agree and yet I disagree.  Names are very powerful.  My pastor preached a sermon a long time ago about how names have the power to dictate the course of a child's personality...their entire life course.  At the time, I was about 12 years old, I chuckled and got my knuckles spanked by my Grand-Mama for showing disrespect. 

As I look back today, I think there may actually be something to this name thing.  All my life I've wanted to work in fashion and have allowed one thing or another to hold me back.  I've recently began pursuing it again.  Yet I still doubt myself and my work.  A co-worker approached me on Monday and told me, my name was a word in Spanish (Mexican):

 Catrin (masculine) or Catrina (feminine) means "well dressed" or "elegant".


Catrina...with the phonetic spelling of a "K", and pronounced the same, hence Katrina is my name!  This completely blew me away.  I now feel inspired and as if this is truly the destined course for my life.  I told my Mom and she was just as flabbergasted. She said father really wanted to name me this, so she didn't object since he had his heart set. My father told me he though it was the prettiest name he ever heard because it was the name of his first love. (*cough* he also made me promise never to tell Mom. *cough*). I am a firm believer that in life, there will be signs whenever we feel lost.  This was my sign.  I feel empowered and enlightened. 

I wanted to share this with all of you.

Much love!



Do you know what your name means?  Have you ever asked your parents how they came up with your name or why? Do you think names play a role in your life?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Ad