ARC Review: Awaking by Madeline Freeman

ARC Review: Awaking by Madeline Freeman


Awaking (Naturals #1)
By Madeline Freeman
E-book 186 pages
Published September 21st 2013 by Createspace 
Copy provided by Netgalley in exchange for an Honest review

Morgan Abbey's life is about to change. Just weeks before the beginning of her senior year, a mysterious stranger approaches Morgan with information that turns her world on end: First, the psychic ability she believes she has just been pretending to have since middle school might actually be real. Second, her mother, who disappeared abruptly and completely almost a decade ago, might still be alive. Morgan finds herself drawn into a centuries-old struggle involving a shadowy group with incredible powers. The Veneret have quietly coexisted alongside the common people of the world for centuries. Now they believe it is time for them to reclaim their former positions of power-and that Morgan is the key to their victory. Every victory comes at a price-but is it one that Morgan will be willing to pay?





Awaking by Madeline Freeman is a book I accidentally stumbled upon while browsing Netgalley. I read the synopsis and immediately knew I had to read this book... As of right now me writing this review, the book is free on Amazon and I am posting a link: Awaking Free on Amazon

This book is a little different from most YA books I have read. While this book does have supernatural beings, You don't have the everyday YA supernatural creatures (Vampires, werewolves, elves, faeries, etc)

Morgan is a High school student who lost her mom 10 years ago. There is this super huge mystery behind her moms disappearance. Nobody knows if there was foul play or if she left on her own. Nothing but her vehicle was discovered.
While at a party Her best friend Ris dragged her to, she sees this guy who is totally checking her out and ignoring the popular girls. Of course they get mad, vicious, and ultimately cause a scene and reminds Morgan that everyone thinks her dad murdered her mom. What a total A-hole right?
At school Morgan is known as the psychic (some say shes a freak) To Morgan its just logic and luck, but there is more to Morgan than even she knows.


We also learn of a group called the Veneret (a group of beings with supernatural powers) who are very interested in Morgan, who we learn is a Natural. The Veneret people have all kinds of "powers" ranging from Mind control, Moving objects with their mind, reading people, etc.

This book is full of thrills, a bit more of a love triangle more of a love rectangle, and is really fast paced. I wouldn't classify this as a full fledge novel. I personally feel a book should be like 250 pages to be considered a novel, but ya this book is on the shorter end. I think maybe 185 pages or so.

Now while I did really enjoy this book, I was left feeling like something was missing. We don't get a happy ending all wrapped up, but it does leave you wanting the next book. But for me it was more than that I can't put my finger on what was lacking with this book. Maybe because It did get wrapped up in 185 pages, maybe I was seeking more back story, maybe more story in general. I'm not too sure. It was one of those that you finish reading and your like hmmm, I like that, but something was missing. I wasn't satisfied after reading it.

bottom line: If your looking for something a little different with a nice fast pace, then I recommend this book.



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the freebie notification! The Veneret sound alot like they may be fairies.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Ad