Review: Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr

Review: Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr

Wicked Lovely (Wicked Lovely #1)
Melissa Marr
Paperback328 pages
Published April 29th 2008 by Harper Teen 
Paperback - owned
Genre: Young Adult
Rule #3: Don't stare at invisible faeries.Aislinn has always seen faeries. Powerful and dangerous, they walk hidden in the mortal world. Aislinn fears their cruelty - especially if they learn of her Sight - and wishes she were as blind to their presence as other teens.
Rule #2: Don't speak to invisible faeries.Now faeries are stalking her. One of them, Keenan, who is equal parts terrifying and alluring, is trying to talk to her, asking questions Aislinn is afraid to answer.
Rule #1: Don't ever attract their attention.But it's too late. Keenan is the Summer King, who has sought his queen for nine centuries. Without her, summer itself will perish. He is determined that Aislinn will become the Summer Queen at any cost — regardless of her plans or desires.
Suddenly none of the rules that have kept Aislinn safe are working anymore, and everything is on the line: her freedom; her best friend, Seth; her life; everything.
Faery intrigue, mortal love, and the clash of ancient rules and modern expectations swirl together in Melissa Marr's stunning twenty-first-century faery tale.





Wicked Lovely is about Aislinn a girl who can see faeries. Her whole life she has had three rules to abide by
1. Don't attract their attention
2. Don't speak to the invisible Faeries
3. Don't Stare at Invisible Faeries. 

Aislinn doesn't know why she has been able to see these faeries her entire life, but what she does know is that they scare her and can be cruel creatures. 

Keenan the summer king, who has been searching for his queen for centuries, thinks he has finally found his queen in Aislinn. Now he has to convince her to give up everything she has and is to save his people and the mortals as well. Together they have to fight the Winter Queen who is just terrible. 

I'm going to break this down into my my likes and dislikes.

  • I enjoyed the concept of this book. I haven't read a fairy book before so I went into this with an open mind. Surprisingly I like the idea a lot. 
  • I REALLY liked all the characters except for Aislinn, but towards the end I warmed up to her.
  • I think the Winter Queen was written extremely well. My dislike for her radiated!
  • Donia is probably one of my favorite if not favorite second characters. I enjoyed any scene with her in it.
                                                                     Now for my Dislikes
  • This book moved at such a boring pace for me. There were times I wanted to put this book down, but told myself to push through. 
  • Aislinn annoyed the heck out of me
  • I was left very confused with many questions left unanswered.
  • I don't like that this book took me till the last 70 pages to really enjoy
  • Keenan was not as strong a character as I would have liked. He came off kind of creepy to me.
  • World building was lacking.
I like this book. For how much I dislike the middle of this book, I couldn't get it out of my head. I even had a dream about it. As I stated I like all the characters with the exception of Aislinn, but even in the end she won me over. I found her very repetitive and annoying. I just wanted to yell at her sometimes. Ask questions so I could have answers.

Unanswered questions

  • Why is Aislinn able to see the faeries?
  • Is her family special?
  • Why is it that a mortal who isn't the Summer Queen and decides not to be Summer Fey have to hold winter in them? I don't get it.
  • Why was this curse or whatever it is ever put on Keenan?
 If Aislinn isn't supposed to stare at faeries how does she know every detail about them? Isn't she supposed to ignore them not attract attention? Yet through the whole book she is able to describe them, what they are, what they do, what they look like.

As you can tell and as I have stated this book had me confused, but I pushed through. In the end I really did enjoy it and I already have book 2 so I will start on it soon. Not yet, I want a clear head going into to it, but I will be reading it. 
So why if I have all these dislikes do I rate this book 3 stars? I'm glad you asked. For one I really liked the second characters Donia and Seth. Both were loyal to the ones they love. Both stood by in a time when they really didn't need to. 
The second reason and I already stated it was that this book stayed with me. I have been constantly thinking about it. Not too many books do that. This one did. I even stuck with me in my sleep. That is definitely saying something. 




2 comments:

  1. I can see why you had issues with this book. Authors sometimes think readers should figure things out and forget their needs to be some kind of origin in the novel itself. Pus it's weird based off the storyline that Aislinn would know so much about faeries and seriously the big why isn't answered in the first book?! Still it sound like a good story that could have been great and I might get around to it one day.

    You're not the only one who had to warm up to a major character in a book Courtney. I mad a hard time with Moonless by Crystal Collier's MC (warmed up to her eventually) but what was most awkward was that I know the author as an online blogger as well. The review was almost awkward but I was honest and just glad that despite the MC it was a very good book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be difficult reviewing books sometimes. Authors sometimes look at negative reviews/comments as a bad thing. And I know me personally, I don't ever mean for it to come off harshly or rudely. They are always my honest opinion.
      Characters are SO important to a book and if that said character is not likeable or aggravating it can sometimes make for a hard read. Luckily Aislinn turned out much better in the end. Honestly If She hadn't redeemed herself I probably wouldn't have liked the book and probably even wouldn't have bothered picking up book 2.

      But I am glad that you understood and knew where I was coming from with this review!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Ad