Death Is But A Dream By Erin Hayes

Death Is But A Dream By Erin Hayes

Death Is But A Dream
By Erin Hayes
e-book, 308 pages
Published September 29th 2013
by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform
Copy Provided by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review


Homicide detective Callie Saunders knows that death isn’t all pearly gates and angels. After being hit by a bus, she finds that it's the ancient gods and goddesses of Greek mythology who are in charge of everything.
So when Hades offers her a deal, she accepts. If she wants to be brought back to life, she’ll have to figure out who is trying to kill his son. But if she fails, both her soul and the world will be destroyed.
With the odds mounting against her, it’ll take everything she has within her to wake up from death. But the rules are constantly changing. And someone wants her to stay dead


 




Lately I have been reading book that have left me feeling very mixed and confused on my emotions. Death Is But a Dream is going to be added to the list. I don't think I liked the book as much as I liked the idea of the book. In Netgalley this was posted as a YA. My question is WHY? Plutus was 24 I think and Callie was 28 there were not any YA characters in this book. 

When I read the summary I thought this book was going to be AWESOME. I love Greek Mythology, there is a mystery tangled in this, and of course romance. Three things I would have normally enjoyed and for the first 15% of this book I did find myself liking it a whole bunch, but then somewhere along the way it veered in this very wrong direction. So basically I loved the idea of the story, but the execution was ALL wrong. It went from could be bad ass to Corny in 0-5 seconds. I did NOT like how the author portrayed the Gods. She went against everything Greek mythology has taught us. She made Hades nice. Seriously? I just didn't get the feel for it. 

Here is the Gist:
Callie Jumps in front of a bus to save a little girls life. Instead she has now thrown off some balance of the world and messed up a lesson for people in the living world. Callie is this badass Detective who dedicates herself to the job. Hades God of the Underworld needs someone to protect his son Plutus (Someone has tried assassinating him several times) so he makes a deal with Callie. Find his sons killer she can go back to her life (Since right now she is in a coma).

One of the biggest things that Erked me was that Callie hated being called Callista. Hades, Plutus, and anyone else who met her Called her Callista. I get it she doesn't like it, but to repeat yourself at least 20x that it is Callie not Callista was annoying. Your halfway dead for freaking crying out loud. who the heck cares whether you like Callie or Callista. You have bigger problems here. Like these weird sort of Shadow monsters trying to kill you. 

Then you have this mere mortal standing up to Gods like she's freaking Zeus or Apollo or some special God or Goddess, hell no. You think the Gods in the mythological world would have really ever put up with her smart ass mouth and attitude? I don't think so. Just saying. I don't care if I'm Buffy the Vampire Slayer who might I add is a Real bad ass. If I died and there was the whole meeting the Gods and Goddess of the afterlife, I'm showing some respect. These people could have decided she didn't deserve to live or do whatever they want. But nope the Gods/Goddesses just let this mortal come in and ream them. No No, not okay with me. 

The romance seemed fake and forced. I felt zero chemistry between the character. 
The who done it was poorly done. We get no back story or anything on the person who did it and all of a sudden it is solved. It felt like the Author was tired of writing and just wrapped it up. Maybe she tried adding too many aspects and kind of forgot to include the bad guy and a background on him/her. Who knows. 

Overall if I hadn't said so already, I was pretty disappointed. And Looking at the reviews on Goodreads I think I am  the minority here.





2 comments:

  1. That nice Hades thing had me laughing. Yeah it sounds like the author was trying to add a new swing on everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, he was wearing expensive suites and I could almist picture him being that guy that always has the bad tan.... George Hamilton but in his younger days! Expensive suites and all

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Ad