Natural Hair Odyssey Part 2

Heeeyyy Guys & Dolls!
I'm baaaccckkkk! I hope you guys have been doing well. I have decided to do a three part series on Natural Hair. This first post was about my personal transition to returning to my natural hair. I always say returning natural as opposed to going natural because your natural hair is where it all began. Here's a link to the post in case you missed it. Click here. The other two parts will be centered on natural hair product recipes and then the last one will be about small businesses that produce natural hair products with natural ingredients and/or some of my fave products centered around natural hair. 

Okay!! Let's get started with these natural hair recipes!!

Shampoo:
People look at me crazy when I say this butttttttt (drum roll please) I don't use shampoo! *gasp* LOL! Nah! It's just not good for natural hair. To each his or her own of course but my hair doesn't do well with shampoo so I stay away from it. There are a couple things you can do to cleanse your hair with-out using shampoo.

1. Co-wash - basically washing your hair with conditioner (I'll let y'all know my fave co-wash in part 3.

2. ACV - Apple Cider Vinegar rinse will cleanse your hair of all product build up and will also restore the PH balance to your hair. 
   
(photo credit here)
ACV Recipe - ESSENTIAL OIL & VINEGAR HAIR RINSE RECIPE (source here)

Ingredients:

2 cups of cider vinegar (herb infused or plain)
5 to 10 drops of essential oil
See our information on Essential Oils for Hair Care   for more recipes using essential oils

Directions:

Mix vinegar and essential oils.
This mixture should be stored in a glass bottle since the essential oils may react with plastic.
Mixture can be used right away, but if you allow it to sit for a day or two the "flavors" will blend.
When ready to use: dilute 1/2 tablespoon of the vinegar/essential oil mixture in 1cup of water.
Rinse through wet hair after shampooing. Rinse it out with fresh water or, for extra conditioning benefits, just leave it in and towel dry hair.

3. African Black Soap - This is what I use to cleanse my hair. You can buy it in a tub and mold it or you can warm it up and add your choice of essential oils. They also make liquid black soap. Black Soap works in the same premise of ACV. It cleanses and restores your hair's PH. It's also good for your skin.



African Black Soap Recipe: 
Ingredients:
Liquid Black Soap
JBCO
Avocado Oil

Basically you just add the oils to the black soap. I don't really do measurements since this is my own personal thing. 

I got all of my ingredients from Amazon. 

Conditioner:
After you wash your hair with either of these things you will need to condition it.

Here's a great recipe that I found online:


I have no idea who to give this photo credit to because I got it from another page. If you know who it belongs to let me know! However, this recipe is GREAT! I use it ALL of the time and it makes my hair feel wonderful. It's basically your fave conditioner, honey and your fave oils. 

After all of this, you will need some sort of leave in conditioner/detangler to make your hair manageable. I Love this DIY from Wellness Mama (link here):

DIY Hair Detangling Spray
 
Simple homemade herb-infused detangling spray that saves money and works wonderfully.
Author: 
Recipe type: Beauty
Ingredients
  • 12 ounce or larger spray bottle
  • 1.5 cups distilled water
  • 3 tablespoons marshmallow root
  • 2 tablespoons conditioner of choice (see above)
  • 10+ drops of essential oil of choice (completely optional)
Instructions
  1. Boil water and marshmallow root in a small pan.
  2. Reduce heat and let simmer for 20-30 minutes.
  3. Let cool slightly and strain through a cheesecloth or very thin wire strainer.
  4. While still warm, pour in to bottle add conditioner and essential oils (if using) and shake until mixed.
  5. Store for up to 2 months (this is as long as I've tested).
I have very thick hair and so I need something thick to help hold in all this wonderful moisture that I have on my hair. If you have type 4 hair, which is usually kinky and coily, I would suggest using shea butter or a shea butter or any type butter mix on your hair as the last step of your hair care process.

Here's a great shea butter DIY that I use often (recipe credit here):



Simple 2-Ingredient Whipped Butter
If you are new to mixing and want to whip a simple recipe, try this one:
Ingredients:
½ cup shea butter
¼ cup olive oil (or a little more depending on desired consistency)
Instructions:
Melt the shea butter directly in a pot over the stove, but do not bring it to a boil. Once melted, pour the shea butter into a bowl, set aside, and allow it to solidify a little.  Then mix in the olive oil with a fork (but a hand mixer works better).

If hair typing confuses you, here a simple hair chart to help you get to know your hair a little better. A lot of people don't like hair typing but if used correctly, it can help you find what products work best for your hair. Keep in mind that everyone's hair is not the same, so results may vary.
(photo credit here)

In the third part of this series I'll go into the products that I love that I don't make and where you can purchase them. At the end of the day, it's your choice what you decide to do with your hair. I'm not trying to persuade anyone to go natural. Wait... I'm lying! LOL! Yes I am! However, whatever you decide to do with your hair, the important thing is to make sure that you take care of it.

So what do you guys think? Too much? Not enough? Have anything to add? Let me know in the comments below! 


Satisfying Your Fashion Addiction!


XOXO,
~B. Ayesha
Beauty | Style | Fashion


10 comments:

  1. I was just experimenting over the weekend with DIY hair products! I tried the baking soda cleanser. It worked but that was weird and may take some getting used to continue. Your DIY detangling spray has me very excited, because tangles are my worst enemy. I’m very tender headed. The mayo and egg is a very good deep conditioner. I also tried the cinnamon to lighten my dark brown roots. It worked a little but was hell to wash out. Thanks so much for the new tips! I can't wait to try these out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you should try henna to try to lighten your hair. It's two-fold because it conditions the hair and it will give it a reddish or auburn color depending on how light your hair is prior to applying it. I looked up a good tutorial and found one on wiki (of course). Check it out! http://www.wikihow.com/Apply-Henna-to-Hair

      Delete
    2. I've never heard of henna, but I will check it out. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. Is this only for African Americans or will it work for a natural dirty blonde like myself? I have used Lemon Juice with Rose Water as a conditioner and detangler and it worked well. But I am not sure if yours will work for my type of hair. I love making my own homecare products so please advise. I already make lipgloss, bath salts, soaps, cuticle cream, lotion, vitamin C serum, toner, and body scrubs. I would like more products to make for my hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ACV or Black Soap can be used on any type of hair. You will want to stay away from heavy butters, like shea, because it will weigh your hair down. If you look at the hair typing chart, it goes from straight(wavy) to curly. Depending upon your hair type, you will need to change up some things to make it work for you. But everything up to the shea butter should work for you.

      Delete
  3. Hey Kami. It's to my understanding that vinegar works well as a conditioner for all hair types. :-) I've never tried rose water, but I've used lemon juice for highlights. I am curious about your homemade lip balm and lotion. You'll have to give me some tips. Pretty please!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I Love this! I messed around and made natural exfoliates this past weekend, this next weekend im going to try the ACV hair cleanser! Id Love to see something on a homemade lip balm too!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Courtney! I love Wellness Mama. Check out her recipe! http://wellnessmama.com/7055/homemade-lip-chap-recipe/

      Delete
  5. I will let you guys know it is super easy for the lip gloss. Peppermint is everyone's favorite. Courtney I made a dry scrub that works great in the shower with adding water if you need a good body exfoliator. I will maybe do a post on my blog for some of the recipes for you gals.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did a post for the body scrub over the weekend. www.kamisjewelrykreations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Ad