Review: The Distance Between Us by Kasie West

The Distance Between Us
Kasie West
Paperback 312 pages
Published July 2nd 2013 by Harperteen

Seventeen-year-old Caymen Meyers studies the rich like her own personal science experiment, and after years of observation she’s pretty sure they’re only good for one thing—spending money on useless stuff, like the porcelain dolls in her mother’s shop.
So when Xander Spence walks into the store to pick up a doll for his grandmother, it only takes one glance for Caymen to figure out he’s oozing rich. Despite his charming ways and that he’s one of the first people who actually gets her, she’s smart enough to know his interest won’t last. Because if there’s one thing she’s learned from her mother’s warnings, it’s that the rich have a short attention span. But Xander keeps coming around, despite her best efforts to scare him off. And much to her dismay, she's beginning to enjoy his company.
She knows her mom can’t find out—she wouldn’t approve. She’d much rather Caymen hang out with the local rocker who hasn’t been raised by money. But just when Xander’s attention and loyalty are about to convince Caymen that being rich isn’t a character flaw, she finds out that money is a much bigger part of their relationship than she’d ever realized. And that Xander’s not the only one she should’ve been worried about.








I had been anticipating The Distance Between Us for a while now. When I hauled this book, everyone, and I mean everyone told me how great this book is.
While yes the story is cute at best, I also felt it was lacking. I can’t quite put my finger on what it was but something just wasn't there.
·      I had problems at the beginning of the book. It just didn't capture me.
·      My BIGGEST problem with this book lies in the ending. Where do I begin? Too convenient, rushed, unemotional, detached. Those are all my feelings when it comes to this books ending.

I finished this book wondering if I was reading the same book everyone has been raving to me about.
I enjoyed some of the characters not all. Caymen and Xander were cute. I loved their little back and forth banter. I LOVED all of Xander’s family. They were very nice and accepting. I was not expecting that at all.
I disliked Caymen’s best friend. I can’t even remember her name she annoyed me so much (I’m going to look it up right now) Skye. While I didn’t like Skye I really liked her boyfriend.

Caymen is funny and very sarcastic, but after 300 pages of her attitude and snarkiness it got old. I wasn’t pleased with the way she treated Xander. She was very selfish and always put herself first. He on the other hand was very selfless and sweet. I kept begging him to be upset with her, but he just wouldn’t.
I wish we could have really gotten more in detail with the issue between Caymen and her mother, but we didn’t and everything of course ended in a happily ever after which left me unsatisfied and frustrated.
I will say I LOVE west’s writing style. This is what totally saved the book for me. Once I got in everything just flowed so well.
While I did have some issues with the book it was still fairly enjoyable and well written!




1 comment:

  1. Oh no. I've heard such good things about this one; but I feel you snarkiness can get very old.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Ad