ARC Review: Falling Into Place by Amy Zhang

ARC Review: Falling Into Place by Amy Zhang

ARC Review: Falling Into Place
by Amy Zhang
Paperback304 pages
Expected publication: September 9th 2014 by Greenwillow Books 
Copy Received from publisher (HarperCollins) in exchange for an honest review 
Genre: Young Adult


On the day Liz Emerson tries to die, they had reviewed Newton’s laws of motion in physics class. Then, after school, she put them into practice by running her Mercedes off the road. 

Why? Why did Liz Emerson decide that the world would be better off without her? Why did she give up? Vividly told by an unexpected and surprising narrator, this heartbreaking and nonlinear novel pieces together the short and devastating life of Meridian High’s most popular junior girl. Mass, acceleration, momentum, force—Liz didn’t understand it in physics, and even as her Mercedes hurtles toward the tree, she doesn’t understand it now. How do we impact one another? How do our actions reverberate? What does it mean to be a friend? To love someone? To be a daughter? Or a mother? Is life truly more than cause and effect? Amy Zhang’s haunting and universal story will appeal to fans of Lauren Oliver, Gayle Forman, and Jay Asher.




Wow.... Falling Into Place! I can't even find the words to describe how much I LOVE this book. I loved it so much, I can't even find words to put my review together and I have waited a week since reading this to let everything sink in. 
Lets start with the author! Amy Zhang the young lady who wrote this amazing book that has stuck with me (I actually had a dream about it the other day) is still in Highschool! That is so awesome! Kudos!

Now lets dive into the book. 
Falling Into Place is a book that all young readers should read. It is a very haunting but very realistic novel.
The author tackles bullying, depression, peer pressure, alcoholism, suicide, teen pregnancy, abortions, cheating, and drug addictions. While it may seem like a lot going on Amy Zhang weaves it all together wonderfully. 

Zhang also gives readers a VERY surprising and unexpected narrator. I had SO many guesses in the beginning as to who was telling us the story, but nope I was VERY wrong and I very much enjoyed that twist. I'm positive you will be as surprised and delighted as I was.

A little bit about our main character.
Liz Emerson is this bitch. She is popular and if you are not popular she will bully and hurt you without giving it a second thought. She has the perfect friends and the perfect life.... Until she goes home to her big empty house where she is all alone. Liz's father died when she was a little girl and her mother travels A lot therefore is never home. I'm sure that can take a toll on any teen. While I thought Miss Emerson was a bitch, I still liked her and by the end I was able to sympathize for her.

This novel is told in multiple point of views, but isn't. What I mean by that is, we get to see different points of view from all the characters but told to us by the narrator. For example Liam a boy who is in love with Liz even though she has tortured and humiliated him, we get to be in his head and hear his thoughts and feelings of everything going on, but like I previously said it is still the narrator telling the story. We also get to see Liz's best friends, her on again off again boyfriend,  and probably my favorite her mothers thoughts and feelings of everything that has happened since Liz decided she wanted to die. I haven't read a book that was written this way, but I really liked it and the author did an excellent job. 

I cried so many times throughout this book, it really is that powerful and thought provoking. The entire time I read this I found myself thinking about my own children, who are both entering school this year and how this first year of school can mold them into the young ladies they will be in the future. Liz's first experience with bullying another peer started when she was a young girl and it kind of stuck with her and molded her into who she ultimately turns out to be. 







0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Ad