{Day 3} House of @KarriThompson #NovelFashionWeek

"I think there is beauty in everything. What ‘normal’ people would perceive as ugly, I can usually see something of beauty in it."
Alexander McQueen

Welcome to Novel Fashion Week!  I'm so glad you could join us again. This hour's designer is House of Karri Thompson presenting her Collection: Fashion inspired by themes in the novel, MIRROR X, by way of Australia! 
Novel Fashion Week- day 7

The Runway Song

Vertigo by U2
 
The Collection


In the year 3025, MIRROR X takes the reader from one fashion capitol to another -- Region One, Sector 12, Subdivision 27 (Los Angeles, California) to Region Three, Sector 9 (Sydney, Australia).

Inspired by 2014 Sydney fashion – animal print mixes from the wild kingdom, layered tulle skirts, message tees, and texture-rich textiles – and the sleek, tailored lines reminiscent of the 31st century, the runways in 3025 are dominated by bold, statement-making tunics, leggings, and ballerinas.



MIRROR X

 
Excerpt:
“How do you like the clothes I picked out for you?”

Ella scanned my body two days prior with a sizing wand and sent the results to a clothing store called “Apparel Five.” Twenty-four hours later, I was sent ten mix-and-match pieces tailored to my skinny frame, and two pairs of shoes that molded precisely to my feet.

“I love them,” I said, rubbing the denim-type fabric of my pants. They hit right below my ankle to the top of my shoes, shoes that came to a point, squeezing my toes together. So far, they didn’t hurt.

“You look beautiful, Cassie.”

“Thank you.” Scrunching sections of my hair with my fingers and spraying it with something Ella brought me, took my hair from flat to full and smelling like lilacs. A dime-sized amount of foundation, plus blush, eye shadow, mascara, and lip gloss, again brought my Ella, disguised the dark circles under my eyes and gave me a “tanned” complexion and lips the color of a fresh peach.

“So are you ready for your first authorized night out?” she asked as we crossed my room.

“Yeah, but I still wish we were going to the botanical garden instead.”

“I know. I tried to change Dr. Little’s mind, but he still doesn’t want you leaving the building. You’re lucky he’s letting you leave your hospital room. Come on, let’s go.”

Leaving my room for the third time was almost as momentous as the night of my escape attempt. My sore feet shook as I stepped through the sliding door and entered a hallway I had only seen in short glimpses.

Ah, freedom once again. But not truly, I thought, glancing down at my L-Banded wrist. This definitely wasn’t 2022, now that I could take my time and see it properly. The brightly lit, taupe walls of the hall were adorned with abstract paintings and recessed monitors that glowed in the same taupe color when they weren’t flashing advertisements or weather updates.

“That’s the A.G.-Lift I took when I ran away.”

“Oh, no wonder why the guards in the lobby didn’t intercept you before you left the hospital. That lift is reserved for bots.”

After two turns we entered a corridor packed with uniformed employees bustling like busy bees that were happy in their hive, collectively working at the same tempo or pulse, like they were sharing one heartbeat.

“Most of the employees live here,” said Ella. "Including me. That’s why GenH1 has its own restaurant.”

Half of the wall to my right was a large, single pane of glass from the ceiling to the floor. Two buildings loomed across the courtyard, bold and alien against the blue sky as wisps of white clouds turned pink with the setting sun. Natural light—yes. Finally! Vitamin D, here I come.

“We’re here,” Ella clapped as we approached an indoor marquee that read, “GenH1 Bon Appetite.” Not very original.

Magnum beat us. He was already at our table, sipping an artificial beer. “Thanks for inviting me to join you two for dinner.”

“You’re welcome,” I said, giving him a hug.

“You look great, Cassie.” Magnum’s eyes made a typical, guy-type scan of my body. He tried to be nonchalant, but it was way too noticeable and made me blush.

 The Novels Highlighted

Mirror X (The Van Winkle Project, #1) Mirror X
(The Van Winkle Project #1)
by Karri Thompson
Paperback, 318 pages
Published June 30th 2014 by Entangled Teen

Cassie Dannacher wakes up in a hospital over 1,000 years into the future after her space capsule is retrieved from space. She soon learns that 600 years prior to her arrival, the earth was struck by a plague, killing over half of the world’s population. Naïve and desperate, Cassie, who longs for home and is having trouble adjusting to the new, dictatorial 31st century government, is comforted by Michael Bennett, the 20-year old lead geneticist at the hospital where she was revived.

But why is Cassie in genetics’ hospital in the first place, and why do several of the people around her seem so familiar, including Travel Carson, the hot and edgy boy she is fated to meet? Soon she discovers there is a sinister answer to all of her questions – and that they want something from Cassie that only she can give.

The Door Prize 



See you on the next Catwalk!
Click here to take the Novel Fashion Week survey 





4 comments:

  1. I love the variety of colors in the clothes, even if I'm not bold enough to wear leopard print clothes.

    And I love the cover and idea behind Mirror X. It sounds like a fascinating read, especially since it's set so far into the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I was Cassie! I would love to have my clothes sent to me and be sized up by a sizing wand instead of having to go shopping for outfits. This world sounds both exciting and eerie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A guy can enter right ?! Ah that u2 song

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh again, what a lovely cover! You really do pick books that look appealing you know ;D There are quite a lot of clothes for this one, but what I've seen popping up twice there is cheetah print. I don't wear it much, but I know my sis does.

    http://olivia-savannah.blogspot.nl/2014/09/make-up-in-society-guest-post-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Ad