{Day 4} House of @DEShipley #NovelFashionWeek

“I like my money right where I can see it…hanging in my closet.” —Carrie Bradshaw



Welcome to Novel Fashion Week!  This hour's designer is House of Danielle E. Shipley presenting her Collection: A cosplay within a cosplay inspired by a story within a story, by way of Berlin



Novel Fashion Week- day 7



Please cue the runway song...
 
"I Belong to You” – Muse (New Moon Remix) 
 
The Collection

Novel Fashion Week, INSPIRED post by Danielle E. Shipley

Monday, Aug. 4th, 12:00am
            Hey there, journal of mine. How’s your midnight going? Mine’s awesome, ‘cause I’m still riding the high of Character Fashion Week!
            I’ve told you about that, right? Lemmee see… Page-flipping, page-flipping… I haven’t?? My bad! Here, I’ll fill you in.
            So, the other day, Uri’s complaining about my clothes, like she always does. “Because it reflects badly on us!” she insists. “Think about it, Annabelle. You are our author.” She gestured to herself and the rest of The Guys. “We are in your head. Meaning, essentially, we are wearing you. And I don’t know about your knight, shape-shifting cat, and ballerina boy, but I would prefer not to be caught dead in half the stuff in your wardrobe.”
            To which Luc chimed in, “The issue is not her wardrobe, but rather what she chooses to do with it. Items of clothing are like any other building block in a creative endeavor. She has the materials. What she lacks is direction.”
            “Well, you’re the muse,” said Uri. “For the love of all things holy, direct her.”
            Which Luc then proceeded to do by inspiring me with the most fun-tastic fashion idea ever: Take the clothes I own, and try to replicate my characters’ different styles! It took me a week to get through all the photo shoots, but the end results have been wow. Check it out!

~ Abishan ~

Of course I couldn’t copy the look of my cat god too exactly, since his human form goes shirtless, and his many cat forms are technically naked. So I went with a loose interpretation. Velvety black pants, much like his own, cinched with a black belt (the end of which I allowed to curl, as a nod to his tail). Since a top had to be worn, I went with gray, like Shan’s skin, with a flowery over-shirt to mimic the floral shapes of his jungle home. Aforementioned jungle home being a bit too far away (and, y’know, fictional) to make a convenient shoot location, I posed in the mini-jungle growing between my backyard and the park. Divine feline style, achieved!

~ Wilbur ~

And my sisters said I’d never get any use out of a chain mail shirt! Little could they foretell, it is a must-have piece in Sir Wilbur Lamb chic. A plain, long-sleeved undershirt defended me from any painful pinching by the metal links, and my gray skinny jeans served as a good match for Wilbur’s ye olde trouser-hosen whatever. Add in a sleeveless over-tunic, a belt with a buckle like a shield, rockin’ suede-and-leather boots up to the knee, and a borrowed wooden sword from my dad’s weapon collection, and I looked ready to pledge with The Order of the Dove.

~ Uri ~

The snark-fest on wheels who started it all. To my regret, I couldn’t scrounge up the ultimate Uri accessory – a skateboard – on such short notice, but I tried to make up for it by at least having the photo shoot at the local skate park. Nor did I have a suitable vest with a hood, so I improvised with a black vest worn over a black hoodie. The low-key graphic tee and black jeans were easy to come by, as were my black boots with the sassy zippers and buckles, though the fingerless studded gloves I had to steal from my sister. Kinda cheating, I know, but c’mon, they were too Uri not to!

~ Yves ~

Though Uri argued that dressing like Yves wasn’t a huge improvement on my typical fashion choices, I wasn’t about to leave the little guy out. I’m no dancer like him (heck, no one’s a dancer like him), but fortunately, nestled in among all the costumes saved from my sisters’ dance recital years was the very thing with which to cop Yves’s signature statement piece: The colorfully striped pants. Everything else he wears being a study in subtlety, I went for a simple black top and black Mary Jane flats – the closest I had to his footwear (which, my sisters inform me, are best described as jazz shoes). Stepping into an Impressionist painting for location was right out, but finding a nice park area with bridges and willows was the next best thing.

~ Lucianíel ~

Last but never least, it was time for this artist to follow her muse! I set up shop in a sun-saturated corner of my favorite library, for if there are two things that scream “Luc”, they are light (#LightElemental) and books (#HisArtisticMediumOfChoice). Believe it or not, my biannual piano recitals actually came in handy for something besides killing me with nerves, because the dressy what-do-you-call-it I got for last summer’s – y’know, the short-sleeved jacket-shirt with the long, sheer tails – paired with black trousers was a beautiful answer to Luc’s sharp Chinese suits. Mind you, I’ve never seen him in earrings, but Mom thought they’d catch the light nicely, and since she’d been kind enough to be my unpaid photographer for the last several days, I figured she could have her way on this one.
            But Luc’s telling me that when I start throwing in hashtags instead of constructing actual linguistically correct sentences, writer bedtime has arrived. I guess it has gotten pretty late. Very well. Goodni— Wait. Shoot, I just remembered: It’s my turn to go up in speech class tomorrow morning. The prof will be recording me. And I have no idea what to wear.
            Lu-u-uc? A little inspiration, please?...


The Novel Highlighted
InspiredInspired
by Danielle E. Shipley
Paperback
Published March 17th 2014 by J. Taylor Publishing


For a muse like Lucianíel, one story’s end is another’s beginning.

In the wake of his author’s sudden death, Luc takes ownership of her surviving creations—four fantastical characters with tales yet to be told—saving them from unwritten lives crumbling around them and giving them a second chance at a literary future.

Luc finds that chance in the unsuspecting mind of Annabelle Iole Gray, a quirky teen with her head in the clouds, nose in a book, and imagination ripe for a brilliant muse’s inspiration.

Or so he hopes.

Neither Luc nor Annabelle, however, realize all they’ve undertaken. Even with a to-write list including accounts of a shape-shifting cat creature, gentle knight-in-training, vigilante skater girl, and a mystery boy smothering in unspoken fear, the most remarkable saga created between author and muse just may turn out to be one stranger than fiction.

Their own.




The Door Prize 



See you on the next Catwalk!
Click here to take the Novel Fashion Week survey 




1 comment:

  1. This was fun. I love how she dressed like the characters and that poor teen girl in the book must be traumatized by her muse's demands. Sounds like a crazy delightful read. Seems Novel Fashion Week will be just as varied and wonderful this year as last year. Maybe even better.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Ad