Review: Breathe by Abbi Glines



Breathe (Sea Breeze - Book #1)
by Abbi Glines
Kindle Edition, 164 Pages
ASIN: B0051BJSRO
Source: Ebook - Own

Goodreads | Amazon

11479285Sadie White's summer job isn't going to be on the beach life-guarding or working at rental booths like most kids her age. With her single mother's increasing pregnancy and refusal to work, Sadie has to take over her mother's job as a domestic servant for one of the wealthy summer families on a nearby island.
When the family arrives at their summer getaway, Sadie is surprised to learn that the owner of the house is Jax Stone, one of the hottest teen rockers in the world. If Sadie hadn't spent her life raising her mother and taking care of the house she might have been normal enough to be excited about working for a rock star.
Even though Sadie isn't impressed by Jax's fame, he is drawn to her. Everything about Sadie fascinates Jax but he fights his attraction. Relationships never work in his world and as badly as he wants Sadie, he believes she deserves more. By the end of the summer, Jax discovers he can't breathe without Sadie.



Sadie is very mature for 17. She takes care of her pregnant mother and has always been more the adult than the child.
With her mothers laziness and pregnancy Sadie goes to Jessica's job in her place, hoping they will accept her doing the job in place of her mother. Sadie has always been the one to take care of others. She is focused on school and has no social life. She spends all her time with school, working and taking care of her mom. She has no friends and has no idea what to do with guys so she just avoids them.

The job is maid service for a rich 19 year old rock star, Jax Stone. The moment they meet both of their hearts tell them they are the ones who need to be together.

Through a lot of ups and downs they try to make things work with Sadie having another year of high school left, Jax going back to California after the summer, the media craze and every guy Sadie is meeting making a play for her..... It was not easy.

Jax leaves to protect Sadie and things just fall apart for both of them. When Sadie is hospitalized and Jax comes back to her things are looking better. Jessica is getting help to become the responsible mother she needed to always be but now with a new little one in the family Jessica needs to be the MOM and not Sadie.

I have heard a lot of really good things about this series. And this is the first book that I have read of Abbi Glines. Here are my thoughts and not all are good.

Abbi Glines makes many grammatical errors in her writing. Maybe as the series progresses this will be better in time. More proofing is essential to great writing I feel. I'm not a writer so I am sure I make tons of these errors in my reviews but then again I am not getting paid to write.

The other problem that I had with this particular story is the choices she made with the vocabulary. Granted I understand we are supposed to be in the SOUTH but when I here things like, Master Jax, Ms. Mary, servant entry...... My thoughts automatically feel that the maids and servants were slaves.. This is just something of course that I felt when reading this story. When I hear someone being called "Master" my head thinks "Slave" in whatever form that might be. It could be S&M or ownership of another. For me that was a little hard to get past. I read the series New Species by Laurann Dohner and the book Shadow #9 kept coming to mind. There was a girl who was sold and purchased for purpose of a sex slave. She lived in a cage in the attic and was called MUD. That is where my head kept trying to take me.

Moving past the verbiage and understanding what my husband said about Bateman being call Master Bruce because he was a younger man helped me understand that the author might just be conveying the same vision for us.

The story itself was a nice story. It had the ups and downs but not so many that it was stressful. It flowed nicely and had a good ending.

I am going to attempt the next one in the series and see how it goes.

Rating: 2 STARS
Happy Reading!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Ad