Review: Nearly Broken (Nearly #1) by Devon Ashley

Nearly Broken (nearly book 1)
By Devon Ashley
ebook 367 pages
Published June 4th 2013
source: Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

We’d both gone missing at one point, but Claire had one thing I didn’t. Someone to notice. So why was I the one still here and she the one still gone? 
Nineteen year old Megan Smith has spent the past year working in a small town diner in the middle of nowhere. Life is quiet, simple, safe. Then comes the news that her look-a-like has gone missing. 
Claire.
Still damaged both physically and mentally, Megan's not looking to be noticed. Wherever she goes from here, it's a road she needs to take alone. But when Nickolas Ellis takes the job as the new nightshift cook, it scares her how easily her defenses crumble down, down, down for him. But there are secrets she can't bear to share with just anyone, unspeakable acts that continue to haunt, and when the similarities of Claire’s abduction couples with the fear of an unwanted visitor in town, the urge to run before it all happens again intensifies, threatening the only happiness Megan's ever found.
New Adult Romantic Suspense / Dark Realistic FictionRecommended for 17+ for mature and disturbing situations, language and sexual content.





Nearly Broken is a book I decided to grab while browsing Netgalley. I still am not totally sure on my feelings about this book, but I know if I don't write my review I will forget everything I want to say. I'm not a fan of taking notes while I read I envy the people who can do that I just always seem to forget and it makes reading the book feel like a job for me. 

Anyways on to the book! I liked Nearly Broken, it was a good story, good plot, great characters, but somewhere along the way, it all sort of fell short for me. I think it was once Megan left the cafe, but I'm not going too into detail as it will spoil you.

Megan is a 19 year old girl whose parents had died when she was young. She went through a very traumatic experience with her guardian. Scarred both mentally and physically. Trying to get what she can of her life back together, she has taken residence in the middle of nowhere working in a diner. Everything is going well until someone comes into the diner and shows her a flyer of a young girl who has gone missing... Her name is Claire and she could be Megan's doppelganger, seriously.
All Megan wants is to stay off the map and not be noticed, but that's hard when Nick comes to work at the diner as the night cook. Megan and Nick definitely hit it off right away!

This book like I said was really good, but it is a HEAVY dark read and I just don't like that. When I read I want to escape, become friends with the characters, and just feel like I am there. And I didn't wanna be there, I didn't feel good when I finished the book, I felt dirty and sad. 

I think this is a trilogy and I know I wont be continuing the trilogy because I read the synopsis of the second book and I know things just get worse. I don't know why the author couldn't just wrap it all up in this one book and give the girl her HEA. Don't get me wrong the book ends on a good note, but she leaves it open for something more to happen in book 2 and I just don't wanna go through all that again. 

I am giving this a 3.5 stars because like I said I did like it for the most part, it was just too much for me. The feelings and everything was just,, ugh I can't explain. My chest is still heavy from even thinking about everything.




3 comments:

  1. i do think it's too sad and dark for me and your review quite confirmed it, i'm a littel sad becaus eteh author is someone i appreciate and her writing style is in my opinion very good but the topic isn't for me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Her writing style was lovely, and the characters were good as well, the topic was just too much for me. It made me very sad.
      What books have you read from this author and enjoyed, because I def would like to try something else by her

      Delete
    2. i haven't read any of her books only excerpt on her blog but if you are interested check it because she often gives arc so you could discover something that would please you

      don't hesitate to ask her

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Ad