Review: The Lover's dictionary by David Levithan

The Lover's Dictionary

by 













Hands down this little book that took me all of 2 1/2 hours to read, blew my mind! 
This surprisingly is my first taste of Levithan's work and I want more!

Lover's Dictionary is like someone's Journal entries about their love life/relationship, but this character has it set up like a dictionary, and with each definition it highlights some point of the his current relationship (I feel like that was more confusing than it needed to be).

Some Definitions are short:

corrodev.
I spent all this time building a relationship. Then one night I left the window open and it started to rust.” 

loven.
I'm not even going to try.” 

And Some are a bit longer:

contiguousadj.
I felt silly for even mentioning it, but once I did, I knew I had to explain.
"When I was a kid, "I had this puzzle with all fifty states on it--you know, the kind where you have to fit them all together. And one day I got it in my head that California and Nevada were in love. I told my mom, and she had no idea what I was talking about. I ran and got those two pieces and showed it to her--California and Nevada, completely in love. So a lot of the time when we're like this"--my ankles against the backs of your ankles, my knees fitting into the backs of your knees, my thighs on the backs of your legs, my stomach against your back, my chin folding into your neck--"I can't help but think about California and Nevada, and how we're a lot like them. If someone were drawing us from above as a map. that's what we'd look like; that's how we are." 
For a moment, you were quiet. And then you nestled in and whispered.
"Contiguous."
And I knew you understood.” 

But no matter how short or how long an entry is, each one makes you feel something. I was happy, giggly, livid, sad, and I just felt everything this character was pouring into these enteries. The funny thing is, I felt like I knew more about this character through these entries, than I have any other book character, yet I have know Idea what his name is. I don't know what he looks like, but I do know some of his most personal thoughts. Which is a really beautiful thing.
Its been a while since I've felt passionate about a book, but that is definitely how I feel about this book. I want to explain how beautifully heartbreaking this story is but I can't find the words. This is one you will definitely have to check out yourself. 




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Ad