Do You Know Your History? I'm Black! Don't Call Me African-American...

I'm a Black woman.  I do not like the term "African- American".  I feel like that term is a cop out.  Africa is a continent not country.  No one says Asian-America when they become citizens to American.  They say Chinese American, Korean American, etc. etc.  I know Nigerian Americans and South African Americans, and I still do not identify as an African American.  I have many friends who take heritage very seriously.  I am of a broken one.  I have no Earthly idea where my people came from.  I'm sure I'm not alone.  Many with the same skin hue as me....we know not who we are.

This bothers me...has bothered me for a very long time.  I know black people who have visited Africa.  Yeah I've got the means, but why the Hell would I want to go.  I feel no connection to a home I've never known.  Who are my people?  It's not enough that they're simply black like me.  That's just silly.  Nope...I must know.

I volunteered for my family's historian chapter.  We research and try to complete the family tree.  Of course we haven't gotten far because in the American slave trade, at one time Blacks weren't considered "human" so there were no birth certificates, just barely documented sales receipts.

My desire to know more brought me to Ancestry[dot]com, and I took the DNA test.  I can now say my family came from specific areas in, not just Africa, but the World.

My results said I'm 89% African, 11% European:
Africa 89% -
Cameroon/Congo  38%
Benin/Togo  26%
Mali  8%
Africa Southeastern Bantu  7%
Nigeria 5%
Senega  2%
Ivory Coast/Ghana  2%
Africa South-Central Hunter-Gatherers  1%

Europe  11% -
Ireland  4%
Iberian Peninsula 3%
Italy/Greece 2%
Scandinavia < 1%
Finland/Northwest Russia < 1%

Nope, I'm still not African-American. I'm not simply Black, although I'll still call myself that.  More specifically I'm a mutt. I am not 100% anything.  I'm a product of this melting pot that is America.


Yet,  today I'm happy I know more about the recipe that created "me".  


I believe that as a decedent of a slave it's very important to know one's history, because a lot of history has been been lost over the years. While we may not be able to fully trace it past the first decedent traded...this is a start. For my friends of another ethnicity this would prove more beneficial because your paper trails may not end so soon. Give it a try! I would love to know if anyone was able to track down their family crest or original tribe!

Cheers,

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Ad